Designer Expenses: What Do You Claim For?
Been very busy with client work of late, and so I decided to cut back on elements of blogging and twitteresque activities in order to better focus on the job at hand.
With that has come a nice sense of freedom and clarity, as well as leaving more time to deal with the annual accounts of a self-employed logo designer. I have nearly managed to get my accounts done in time for Christmas, which compared to last year is a massive improvement. Last year my poor accountant got my accounts around the 27th January!
This time round I have focused a lot more on ‘expenses’ and being quite rigorous with what I can claim as an ‘expense’.
So, I’m somewhat curious, as a self-employed/freelance designer: what sort of things do YOU claim legitimate expenses for? Feel free to leave comments below as a helpful list for others.
Some things I have added to my ‘expenses’:
• Paypal Fee’s
• International SWIFT/CHAP’s process fee’s
• Portion of household and premise utility bills (work from home)
• Studio refurbishment (3rd bedroom): decorating materials etc.
• Certain car expenses: mileage, parking, partial cost of buying car etc.
• Client work and consultation.
• Accountancy book keeping fee’s. NOT preparation of tax returns!
• Advertising & Marketing: imjustcreative branded printing and stationery costs etc.
• Books & research: Self tuition/learning/training costs
• Computer Equipment & accessories
• Mobile phone bills
• BT Broadband bills
• Stationery & Postage
• Occasional client related expenses: meals, travel etc.
• Directory submission costs: logo galleries etc.
• Hosting & domains: 123-Reg, York Networks
• Web app subscriptions: Freshbooks, Vaultpress, Cage, Flickr, Evernote etc
• Application, software & typeface purchases for: Macintosh, iPhone and Android
About this PostWritten by: Graham Smith:
Date of PublicationFirst Published on: 2012/12/18 and Updated on: 2016/09/14
Post CategoriesFiled In Categories: Design Essentials, Resources
Post Tagged by
View More Posts by Category
Subscribe to Updates: RSS | Feedburner | Email
Hire a Freelance Logo Designer in the UK
If you like the Logo & Brand Identity Design work I have done in my Portfolio, and Case Studies and Monomarks, and are looking to hire yourself a Highly Talented, and Super Experienced (28 Years), Freelance Logo & Brand Identity Designer, then look no further. Visit Hire Me, and fill in the Design Brief, or just Contact me.